Having sported gains for much of the day, cryptocurrencies were losing their shine in early New York trading hours on Wednesday after both ethereum and cardano hit new record levels.
Ethereum, which is up nearly sixfold – or 478% since the start of the year, hit a new peak of $4,366 during early London trade. By late afternoon in London the second-biggest cryptocurrency by market cap was up 6.6% at $4,244.
Cardano also hit a new record. It has gained 846% since the start of 2021, from being worth a lowly $0.181 at the end of December, to peak at new record of $1.819 on Wednesday. By late afternoon it was trading lower, however, down 1.2% at $1.71.
The crypto top 10
Here’s how all the top 10 cryptocurrencies were faring in late London trade on Wednesday:
- Bitcoin down 0.1% at $55,573.60
- Ethereum up 6.6% at $4,244
- Binance coin 0.3% at $656.09
- Dogecoin down 5.6% at $0.473
- Tether flat at $1.00
- Cardano down 1.2% at $1.71
- XRP down 3% at $1.415
- Polkadot up 6.1% at $40.223
- Internet computer flat at $298.51
- Bitcoin cash down 2.2% at $1,433.90